Tuesday, June 23, 2009

PowerStream employee fights cancer in multiple ways

Survives disease and helps to raise more than $27,000 for cancer research

VAUGHAN, ON – When Patrick Guran originally became PowerStream Barrie Hydro Distribution’s Chief Energy Conservation Officer in 2004, he knew that he would be involved in programs and activities that would help save the planet. Little did he know that his journey would also involve him in an event that would help save lives, perhaps even his own.

Last year, Guran, an accomplished cyclist, had planned to sign up for the Princess Margaret Hospital’s Ride to Conquer Cancer cycling fundraiser, but became ill and was diagnosed with NonHodgkins Lymphoma. However, a year later, he was not only able to overcome his cancer, but also managed to team up with three PowerStream Barrie Hydro Distribution colleagues – Paula Conboy, Irv Klajman and John Neogi – to participate in this event and raise a total of $27,776.

“I find it ironic that the reason why I entered the ride this year was the reason why I didn’t feel well last year,” said Guran. “Last year, my goal was to be alive to do this ride, and this year, I wanted to share my recovery with other people in a way that I could help others. I also wanted my team to not only raise money, but I wanted to encourage them to accomplish their goals – that is important!” Guran commented on how he was touched by the generosity and support he received from his co-workers at PowerStream Barrie Hydro Distribution, adding that the amount of money donated by the company’s employees “was incredible.”

The team joined the cycling fundraiser for several different reasons, some philanthropic in nature and others more personal.

“I want to do what I can to help raise awareness and funds to conquer cancer; this dreadful disease that has affected too many people I know and love,” said Conboy, Vice President of Regulatory and Government Affairs at PowerStream.

The money collected by the PowerStream foursome in just over five-months contributed to the total of $14.5 million raised by the 3,526 riders who participated in the 216 kilometre cycling event held on June 13 – 14. All proceeds were donated to the Campbell Family Cancer Research Institute at the Princess Margaret Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment